March 18, 2013
Activists seek Ohio fracking wastewater review
Advertiser

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A coalition of environmental and community groups called on the federal government Monday to consider suspending Ohio's authority to oversee deep wells used for disposal of chemically laced wastewater from oil and gas drilling.

The groups have asked the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to investigate and conduct a full audit of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources' regulatory program over the wells, which accept wastewater from oil and gas drilling, and consider taking back control.

A spokesman with the EPA's Chicago office said the agency is reviewing the request.

The call on Monday to diminish Ohio's oversight role was issued by the Ohio office of the Center for Health, Environment & Justice, the liberal ProgressOhio and the Buckeye Forest Council.

They question the effectiveness of Ohio's regulatory program in light of recent federal indictments of a Youngstown-area businessman and his employee that allege they illegally dumped oil and gas wastes, a series of earthquakes near Youngstown centered near a deep well, and what they say is a general lack of public responsiveness.

"We regret that Ohio's administration of the nationwide program has become so gravely lacking that federal controls must be put back in place," their letter to the EPA said. Ohio is among states with authority over its own wells under the national program.

In indictments last month, Hardrock Excavating LLC owner Ben Lupo and employee Michael Guesman were accused of violating the Clean Water Act by illegally dumping oil and gas wastes into a storm drain. The two pleaded not guilty Friday.

Lupo also owns D&L Energy, whose deep injection well was at the epicenter of more than a dozen earthquakes in the Youngstown area mostly in late 2011. An earthquake on the eve of 2012 prompted Gov. John Kasich to issue a temporary moratorium on new injection activity in the vicinity.

After an effective statewide ban of nearly a year, the state resumed issuing injection permits in November. State natural resources officials said they believed ample safeguards had been put in place, including the ability to order or conduct seismic testing before, during and after drilling.

But Teresa Mills, of the Center for Health, Environment and Justice, said the state Natural Resources Department has become "a captured agency."

Recommended Stories

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Popular Videos
The Gazette now offers Facebook Comments on its stories. You must be logged into your Facebook account to add comments. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal page, uncheck the box below the comment. Comments deemed offensive by the moderators will be removed, and commenters who persist may be banned from commenting on the site.
Advertisement - Your ad here
Get Daily Headlines by E-Mail
Sign up for the latest news delivered to your inbox each morning.
Advertisement - Your ad here
News Videos
Advertisement - Your ad here
Advertisement - Your ad here