March 18, 2013
Quarrier Diner to close next week
Lawrence Pierce
The Quarrier Diner, which reopened in 2011 after being closed since 1999, will close March 29. Owner Anna Pollitt said the restaurant doesn't get enough business to stay open.
Lawrence Pierce
The Pollitts had consulted old photographs and painstakingly restored the diner, which was built in 1946.
Advertiser

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- The Quarrier Diner, a Charleston landmark reopened two years ago, will close at the end of the month, owner Anna Pollitt said through tears Monday.

"We go many evenings with only one or two tables ... I just think that the location is so suspect -- mainly because people just don't come downtown after 5 o'clock," she said

Pollitt and her husband, David, plan to keep the downstairs bar, Timothy's, open for now. She said that could change by the end of the month.

The Pollitts purchased the dilapidated restaurant in September 2010 at the urging of their son, Tim, after it was named to the Preservation Alliance of West Virginia's Most Endangered Properties.

"He told us that if we would purchase a restaurant, he would make it work," Anna Pollitt previously told the Gazette.

They began extensive renovations in January 2011 to restore the art nouveau building, which was built in 1946. The Pollitt family received "Most Significant Save of an Endangered Site" from the Preservation Alliance for their work in preserving and restoring the Quarrier Diner.

The couple consulted old photographs and painstakingly restored the façade, the details on the wooden booths with their orange tabletops and decorative lamps and the floor tile and barstools. They added modern touches such as lighted glass bars and flat screen, projection televisions in an upstairs meeting room and in the downstairs bar.

But in the middle of construction, Tim Pollitt died from a head injury sustained after falling down the stairs at home on Easter Sunday.

"It was for him, but yet I thought it could be a project we could handle together," Anna Pollitt said Monday. "But it's bigger than us, than we even realized. I think it would have been hard even with him."

Their daughter, Lisa Pollitt, quit her job to help with the restaurant, Anna Pollitt said. The couple's nephew also worked there.

"She has to get on with her life, and my nephew had to get on with his life and I can't do it alone," Anna Pollitt said, crying.

Recommended Stories

Copyright 2013 The Charleston Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Popular Videos
The Gazette now offers Facebook Comments on its stories. You must be logged into your Facebook account to add comments. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal page, uncheck the box below the comment. Comments deemed offensive by the moderators will be removed, and commenters who persist may be banned from commenting on the site.
Advertisement - Your ad here
Get Daily Headlines by E-Mail
Sign up for the latest news delivered to your inbox each morning.
Advertisement - Your ad here
News Videos
Advertisement - Your ad here
Advertisement - Your ad here