March 18, 2013
Quarrier Diner to close next week
Lawrence Pierce
The Quarrier Diner, which reopened in 2011 after being closed since 1999, will close March 29. Owner Anna Pollitt said the restaurant doesn't get enough business to stay open.
Page 2 of 2
Lawrence Pierce
The Pollitts had consulted old photographs and painstakingly restored the diner, which was built in 1946.
Advertiser

On Monday at about 1 p.m., much of the lunch crowd -- which Anna Pollitt said can reach 90 customers -- had left, and about 10 people sat eating quietly.

Regular customers Jennifer Marrs and Siobhan Gearhart, who work across the street from the diner, said over salads Monday that they were devastated after seeing the sign taped on the door announcing the March 29 closure.

"It's raining and I asked [Jennifer] where we should go for lunch and we just came here. We were just here Friday," Gearhart said.

"It's really upsetting. We want to find Anna and see what's going on," Marrs said. "It seemed like it was always crowded."

The women wondered if the closing had anything to do with chef Tony Henderson's departure.

Lisa Pollitt said Henderson left in December but that him leaving didn't have anything to do with the restaurant closing. She said other employees had "carried the torch."

Besides not being able to survive on earnings from the lunch crowd, Anna Pollitt said the city of Charleston hasn't offered much support.

"Just in the last week, five cars were towed from the parking lot next door. Plus, the meter maid goes around every five minutes and catches everybody who is one second over," she said, noting people often think the adjacent parking lot belongs to the diner.

"I'm just frustrated with every aspect of it."

There aren't any immediate plans for what will happen to the space, but she said she's not in any rush to sell it.

"I'll see if we have any interest. We don't have to sell right away, we're not in financial trouble -- it's just time to move on," she said. "I'm a grandmother; I'm approaching 62 years old. I've got a lot of other things, a lot of other projects to get into."

Reach Kate White at kate.wh...@wvgazette.com or 304-348-1723.

Recommended Stories

Copyright 2013 The Charleston Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Popular Videos
The Gazette now offers Facebook Comments on its stories. You must be logged into your Facebook account to add comments. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal page, uncheck the box below the comment. Comments deemed offensive by the moderators will be removed, and commenters who persist may be banned from commenting on the site.
Advertisement - Your ad here
Get Daily Headlines by E-Mail
Sign up for the latest news delivered to your inbox each morning.
Advertisement - Your ad here
News Videos
Advertisement - Your ad here
Advertisement - Your ad here