CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Summer break is here, giving us plenty of time to do what we want. Some of us will go to the beach, travel the country or visit family. For those who don't have the time or money to do those things, though, there are a lot of things that you can do right here in West Virginia.
Some of these may cost money, but many can be done for free. Almost all of them can be done in or around the comfort of your home.
1. Fishing: This can be done close to where you live or far away; it depends on the type of fish you want to catch. You can drive to private lakes, where you might have to pay a fee, or you can go to a nearby river or pond and fish for free.
Some things you will have to pay for are your pole, bait and a fishing license. You can get one at Wal-Mart, K-Mart or almost any sporting goods store. The fee varies by age.
2. Hiking: This can also be done almost anywhere, and it's a great way to get out of the house for the day. You can explore nature, see animals and connect with other people. Hike in the woods near your house or go to a place such as Hawks Nest State Park or Kanawha State Forest. They have trails of different lengths, so you can opt for a long walk or a short one.
3. Summersville Lake: It is one of the most beautiful places in West Virginia, hands down, and it's my favorite place to be during the summer. It's huge, and there are so many things to do: swim, fish, scuba dive, snorkel and boat. It's a great place to hang out with family and friends for a fun day or weekend.
4. Camden Park: I've never been but have only heard great things from family members and friends about this amusement park in Huntington. They say the staff is friendly, there are great rides and it's a good place for families.
5. Wave pools: These are a fun way to cool off when it's hot. Besides the wave pool, they usually have water slides and sometimes areas for young kids. You can go to Waves of Fun in Hurricane or Water Ways in Madison.
6. Summer jobs: If you get a summer job, you can work and make money, but still have time to hang out with your friends. Maybe you can even get a job with your friends. There are all types of summer jobs, but before you apply, make sure you will have reliable transportation.
7. Reading: Not everyone will want to spend the summer reading, but some of us enjoy it. Now we have more time to read the books we want. Most of us will probably have summer reading to do too, though.
8. Hanging out with friends: Spending time with friends sounds like the perfect summer, doesn't it? It's how I hope to spend some of my summer. Whether you stay inside or do something outside, being with friends makes it more fun.
9. Exercising: This is a great summer thing to do because you can't use the excuse that you don't have time for it. There's no school, so you have 24 hours a day, seven days a week for approximately 80 days to get into a fitness routine. There are plenty of workout routines such as Insanity, P90X and Zumba, so you can find something you like well enough to keep doing.
10. Housework: OK, this isn't really fun, but whether it is or not, summer is the best time to do housework. During the summer, you can get big projects done, like rearranging your room, painting the house inside and out or cleaning out your clothes to make space for new ones.
There are so many other ways to have fun in the summer. Share your favorite activities with our readers at facebook.com/wvflipside.com or below.