CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Ever since Drake's song "The Motto" popularized the phrase "YOLO" (You Only Live Once), people have been doing crazy and/or stupid things like running red lights while screaming "YOLO" out the car window, using the opposite gender's bathroom or shouting "You can do it!" to people jogging down the street.
Well, this summer only happens once, so why not do some crazy stuff of your own? If you're totally clueless about what to do, here are a few ideas:
• Run up to a cashier at your local store and ask them what year it is. When they answer, run outside screaming, "It worked!" In their minds, they'll think you built a time machine.
• Walk into a crowded elevator and say, "You are probably wondering why I have decided to meet with you today." Then with a straight face, start going on and on about a weird topic -- like why a tomato should be a vegetable, for instance. When the elevator gets to the next floor and people start getting off, stay on the elevator and keep talking as if they are still there.
• Get a toy block and set it on the ground, then walk around it three times. You just walked around the block three times in less than a minute!
• If you want to do something that is really hard but seems very easy, get a cracker, apple or some other kind of food and put it in your mouth. See if you can keep it there for one minute without chewing.
• Speaking of food, why not try a crazy new dish you've never had before? And instead of ordering it, make it yourself!
You could try making a great dish called baba ghanoush. It is an eggplant appetizer, which you can find recipes for at epicurious.com. (Search the name and look under "all recipes.")
If that doesn't sound good, there are tons of other recipes and food websites out there if you just go searching. Plus, I'll bet you have an old cookbook lying around at home that you could pull recipes from.
• If you're trying to get over a bad habit or obsession, like biting your nails, try this: Every time you do it, you have to write, "Picking my nose with my foot" on Facebook or Twitter. That will get you to stop.
People will forever think you're weird if you do some of these things, but just tell them, "YOLO." Have a crazy summer!