• Another impressive first-person shooter is Activision's online title, "Destiny," for current and next-gen consoles. This unusual game combines a story-driven focus with cooperative, competitive and social activities to offer a unique experience. Players can combine their forces or go it alone to fight enemies, uncover unique weapons and gain useful new powers.
• 505 Games introduces "Payday 2," which is a heist-oriented game where players are challenged rather than coddled. As one of four classes participating in high-stakes heists, promising thieves must infiltrate various institutions and steal valuables while keeping the law at bay. This realistic game lets players customize everything from weaponry to masks to special abilities, but they must make tough decisions because it's impossible to unlock every item.
• Speaking of a difficult challenge, "Dark Souls 2" from Namco Bandai is reminiscent of old-school titles where players can expect to fail frequently. Even though this medieval action game can be frustrating, the reward for success is unparalleled! While the previous incarnation was only available on the PS3, the sequel will punish players on the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 for years to come.
• Batman returns for another epic outing in the Warner Bros prequel, "Batman Arkham Origins," for current gen consoles and the PC. Although young and inexperienced, Batman is forced to overcome several character-defining moments in his path to becoming the Dark Knight. Thankfully, his combat skills are as highly advanced as his gadgets, which help him to explore an expanded version of Gotham City and overcome its challenges.
• SOE is known for creating high-quality MMO games, and the free-to-play PC title, "Dragon's Prophet" is no exception! This fun title lets players roam a fantasy-based land on foot or flying on the back of a scaly beast while fighting menacing enemies and recruiting various dragons into their arsenal. I also like how line-of-sight plays an important role in the game because it stresses skill over button spamming.
• If technology is your forte, then "Black Gold" by Snail Games is right up your alley! In this PC-exclusive MMO game, players choose to ally themselves with either a fantasy-based team that values nature and magic or a Steampunk legion that combines extensive use of gears and steam power with advanced technology. Both sides are at war with each other over a valuable power source as they undertake dynamic quests and open-world player vs. player combat.
• Not everyone wants to slay enemies in a virtual realm, so Disney has created an engaging interactive musical game called "Fantasia: Music Evolved" for the Xbox Kinect. Both young and old gamers alike will surely enjoy using arm and body motions to control and remix over 30 songs from various artists. Part of the fun is unlocking and expanding an underwater kingdom that is hauntingly beautiful and ever changing.
One of the most impressive technologies on display was the Qualcomm's Snapdragon processor. Sure it's extremely powerful and offers high definition visuals, but the interesting feature is the HD audio. Cellphones that incorporate the Snapdragon 800 processor can provide impressive 7.1 surround sound on nearly any headphones, which is great for movies and totally awesome for games. I found the headphone 7.1 audio to be nearly identical to a 7.1 home theater after hearing a side-by-side comparison.