CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- What do you want to receive for Valentine's Day? Do you want flowers, a box of chocolate, a teddy bear or maybe just a simple kiss?
Valentine's Day is a perfect day for love and romance. It is a day to cherish that one person that makes the butterflies in your stomach fly, the one that makes your heart pound at the sight of him or her. Most of all, though, it's a day to give something to your loved one to celebrate your relationship.
Are you struggling to figure out what to get your date for this special day, though? In a 20-student survey at Scott High School about the universal struggle for the perfect gift, 73 percent of students said they wanted something sweet and caring. The other 27 percent wanted something that showed thought and love had gone into it.
So while red roses, ribbon-covered packages and sweet chocolate might be enough for many couples to mark the romantic feelings that bring them together, these things are not for everyone. For that more personal and romantic approach, consider a letter expressing the love and gratitude you have for your significant other. That's something the 27 percent said would make those red hearts appear in their eyes.
As nice as gifts are, though, they're not everything. Freshman Breanna Sanders said, "Valentine's Day isn't just about the gifts and the dating. It's about the love that two people share that makes every other problem disappear, even if only for a moment."
Single people don't have to search for the perfect Valentine's Day gift, but they have their own problems, mainly finding the perfect way to enjoy the holiday without having a date.
Some people believe that spending Valentine's Day alone is a disgrace and embarrassing, but if that's what a person wants to do, then that is fine. However, singles can make the most of the romantic holiday and have a much more enjoyable Valentine's Day if they hang out with friends or family rather than be by themselves or go on a date with someone they have absolutely no interest in.
Scott freshman Cody Harvey thinks that's a good idea. "I would much rather hang out with the guys and get my mind off things rather than going out with a girl that I think I would like to date but truly I have no interest in," he said.
In the end, don't rely on Cupid and his plans for you on Valentine's Day. If you truly know your companion, then you will already know the perfect gift for him or her.