CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Bread served with a meal can be loaded with calories and carbohydrates that may wreck your eating-plan budget. Here's a guide when dining out to make smart choices and keep your portions in check.
I was relieved to see that Red Lobster biscuits, Olive Garden and Outback Steakhouse breads were in the low-cal, better-numbers bracket.
The following aren't the only restaurants that may qualify as having wholesome breads. They were the ones in the survey that I saw.
- Outback Steakhouse honey wheat bread (1/4 loaf): 78 calories, 1 gram fat, 16 carbs
- Olive Garden garlic breadstick (1): 140 calories, 15 grams fat, 26 carbs
- Panera asiago focaccia (2-ounce wedge): 160 calories, 6 grams fat, 21 carbs
- Red Lobster Cheddar biscuit (1): 160 calories, 9 grams fat, 17 carbs
- Pizza Hut cheesy garlic breadstick (1): 180 calories, 7 grams fat, 20 carbs
- Panera sourdough roll (1): 200 calories; 1 gram fat; 39 carbs
- Panera butter croissant (2-ounce croissant): 230 calories, 12 grams fat; 26 carbs
Count on taste
Burger King wants you to "count calories without counting out taste" and provided this information and these dining suggestions:
400 calories: Tendergrill garden salad; light Italian dressing, fresh apple fries with low-fat caramel sauce and water
415 calories: Ham, egg and cheese Croissan'Wich; fresh apple fries with low-fat caramel sauce; 20-ounce BK Joe
480 calories: Tendergrill chicken sandwich, no mayonnaise; side salad with fat-free dressing; 16-ounce diet drink
490 calories: Whopper Jr., value-size onion rings and 16-ounce diet drink
Back home again from the restaurant tour, because I started this column with bread, I thought we would end with a bread recipe -- sort of.
This one is a little treat for all the bread pudding lovers. It doesn't have much added sugar, because the apples and cinnamon bread are both sweet to begin with. Top it warm from the oven with a small scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Although the ingredients hint of autumn, apples, walnuts and cinnamon are good any time of year. We've already heard how good the trio is for us.
Apple Walnut Bread Pudding