CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A Beckley mother is cautioning parents to thoroughly check their newly purchased children's clothing because, she says, a razor blade fell out of her 10-month-old daughter's footed pajamas, slicing the girl's left foot.
Brittany Morgan said she rushed her daughter, Trinity, to Raleigh General Hospital on Feb. 17, after a 2-inch razor in the Child of Mine by Carter's brand sleeper cut the girl's foot.
Morgan said she bought the footed pajamas from the Walmart store on U.S. 19 in Beckley on Feb. 15.
Trinity Morgan suffered several minor cuts and one deep puncture wound, but she didn't require any stitches, her mother said. The girl's wounds were treated with antibiotics and bandaged at the emergency room and she has since "healed amazingly," her mother said.
Brittany Morgan admits that she did not check the garment before putting it on her daughter, but said she will now inspect all of Trinity's clothing.
"Please, please check all children's clothing," Morgan said. "I could never have dreamed this could happen to my kid. It's really put a toll on my family. She's just an innocent baby."
As soon as she left the hospital on Friday, Morgan said, she went to the Beckley Walmart to file an accident report.
"I still don't understand how someone could lose something like that and not look for it," she said.
Walmart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said the company's stockers do not use the type of blade that Morgan said was found in her daughter's sleeper. Gee said the store has contacted the manufacturer, Carter's. Since the reported incident, the Beckley Walmart has physically inspected the clothing in the baby apparel section and employees found nothing that would cause concern, Gee said.
"Whenever we hear something like this, we're concerned for our customer and their family," she said. "This is unusual and an isolated situation, but we are looking into what may have happened."
Carter's later released a statement to the Gazette: "The safety and quality of our products have been the hallmark of Carter's and its brands since 1865. As such, the company takes great care to ensure product safety for our customers. This includes rigorous testing and inspection of all products. We are saddened to hear when any child is harmed. This matter has been reported to the proper local authorities and is currently being investigated."
Carter's has offered to pay for the family's emergency room visit, Morgan said, and also gave a sincere apology. Carter's also is sending Morgan a box so she can mail the sleeper and razor to the manufacturer. Morgan said she is "iffy to send it to them."
"I don't know if my daughter's completely out of the water. I want to keep [the sleeper and razor] to make sure," Morgan said. "She's doing excellent, but there's always that chance."
Reach Megan Workman at megan.work...@wvgazette.com or 304-348-5113