"A fire of that magnitude, there's not going to be much left of a candle," he said.
The house's landlord, Delores Shamblin, 74, of Mammoth, said Tuesday she had eight smoke detectors installed in November. The detectors were on the walls when she visited the house on Feb. 28, Shamblin said.
Sharp said it's possible more than three smoke detectors were inside the house at time of the fire. Investigators reported only finding one smoke detector immediately after the fire. It was under a cabinet and not working.
"A lot of things got engulfed in the fire. There could have been some of the plastic smoke detectors burnt," he said. "That is a possibility. All I can say is what we found and try not to speculate."
Firefighters at the Cora Street station, about three blocks from the house, received the call about the fire at about 3:25 a.m. Saturday.
Sharp said the blaze engulfed the house's front side before firefighters arrived approximately two minutes later.
Latasha Jones-Isabel, 24, had come outside to smoke a cigarette on the porch when she noticed the fire, family members have said. She ran to a neighbor's to call for help when she could not re-enter the house.
Reach Travis Crum at travis.c...@wvgazette.com or 304-348-5163.