Former security chief Hughie Elbert Stover, meanwhile, is appealing his recent conviction and a three-year sentence for lying to investigators and ordering subordinates to destroy documents.
Jones' twin brother, Gene Jones, said the lawsuit seeks to hold others accountable for their actions.
"They blew a hole in our world when they killed our family, and I've got news for them. We're not going away without a fight," he said.
The other plaintiffs are their mother, Ruby Nell Lafferty Jones, and sister Cheryl Sue Jones. Dean's widow has reached a separate settlement.
In December, Alpha reached a $210 million non-prosecution agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice that spared the corporation liability but left individuals open to prosecution. The deal guaranteed that the families of the dead miners and two co-workers who survived the explosion each receive $1.5 million.
Those who accept the payout can still pursue lawsuits, but the $1.5 million will be deducted from any settlement or jury award. At least eight families of dead miners previously settled with Massey.
The Jones family didn't learn Dean's fate until four days after the blast, when state mine safety officials informed them he had been found.
The lawsuit claims the family was led to believe he may have reached an underground safety chamber. Instead, he was actually killed instantly by powerful forces that knocked him down, then doubled back and struck him a second time.
Stanley, who represented two widows after a deadly January 2006 fire at another Massey mine, cited a memo that became the focal point of that wrongful death trial in his latest lawsuit. On Oct. 29, 2005, Blankenship issued a memo to all Massey underground mine superintendents, telling them to focus solely on production.
"If any of you have been asked by your group presidents, your supervisors, engineers or anyone else to do anything other than run coal ... you need to ignore them and run coal," it said. "This memo is only necessary because we seem not to understand that coal pays the bills."
The lawsuit says Upper Big Branch got the memo, and the message was received.
"Instead of cleaning up their act" after the deaths at the Alma No. 1 mine, "defendants redoubled their efforts at squeezing profits from safety-challenged UBB," the lawsuit says.
It says Jones briefly stopped production because of ventilation problems in the mine, and was immediately threatened with being fired, along with every miner working with him. The suit also charges one miner was fired for causing a 55-minute delay while he tried to ensure the crews had enough fresh air to prevent explosions.
Investigators said they found the mine explosion was sparked by worn cutting equipment, and that clogged and broken water sprayers failed to contain what should have been a minor methane flare-up.