SISSONVILLE, W.Va. -- Sissonville residents living with sweltering heat a week after powerful storms ripped through the state hope Sunday will be the day their power comes on.
Nearly 160,000 West Virginia customers were without electricity Friday evening while power companies worked to repair lines and poles damaged by one of the worst storms to hit the state.
Families like Keith and Anna McClanahan's found creative ways to keep their young daughter from overheating as temperatures reached the upper 90s.
"We were letting her run through the water hose but even that got way too hot," Anna McClanahan said of her 13-month-old daughter, Isabella.
She and her husband, of Sissonville, brought the baby to a shelter established by the pastors at Aldersgate United Methodist Church.
Keith McClanahan said they've been without power since the derecho hit and have stayed at the shelter during daylight hours before they return home each evening to sleep.
"We just open up all the windows and lay in our bed," he said.
Jody Jones and his 13-year-old son, Dalton, came to the shelter for the first time Friday and had planned to spend the night.
They'd been holding out hoping power would eventually be restored to their Rocky Shoals Road home. They ate canned food and used coolers to keep ice and water before it ran out.
"It's been torture," Dalton Jones said.
The young boy said he couldn't wait to return home Sunday night to an air-conditioned home.
Appalachian Power expects services to be restored to all of Kanawha County by Sunday night. There were 108,000 Appalachian Power customers without power in West Virginia on Friday, the company announced in a news release Friday evening.
Pastors Brad and Stephanie Bennett thanked God they finished work on the church's kitchen area and gymnasium a month before the storm knocked out power in the area.
They've provided an average of about 160 meals a day to guests at the shelter and about nine people have been staying there overnight, Brad Bennett said.
"We completed this shelter just in time for this crisis that no one could have seen coming," he said.
Up the road at Flinn Elementary School, Sissonville Volunteer firefighter Amber Elmore and other volunteers handed out pallets of ice and water.