The Federal Emergency Management Agency offers tips on how to prepare for Hurricane Sandy and other tropical storms. Sandy is expected to be especially disastrous when it merges with a winter storm system, bringing powerful winds, rain, snow and storm surge along the Eastern Seaboard.
Before the hurricane:
- Know your surroundings and whether your home is in a flood prone area. Determine where you would go - and how you would get there - if you were ordered to evacuate
- Cover your home's windows, either with permanent storm shutters or marine plywood at least 5/8 of an inch thick
- Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well-trimmed
- Clear clogged rain gutters
- Secure all outdoor furniture, decorations, trash cans and anything else that could blow away.
- Install a generator for emergencies
- Listen to the radio or TV for information
- Secure your home, close storm shutters, and secure outdoor objects or bring them indoors
- Turn off propane tanks