"It's pretty well out in the entire area here," Spiker said at about 2 p.m. Tuesday.
By about 2 p.m., the shelter had 20 to 24 visitors, Spiker said. Officials expected more Tuesday night.
Following the summer's derecho, power restoration took between two days and a week and a half in Preston County, depending on the location, Spiker said.
"I'm hoping it won't take as long to get [power] back on, but initial reports are that it could take up to two weeks to get it back on in the area," he said.
In Wyoming County, Mullens Opportunity Center was one of three emergency shelters. As of about noon, Appalachian Power reported more than 9,000 customers in Wyoming County were without power.
By about 4 p.m., though, no one had visited the MOC shelter yet, said Charlene Cook, the center's director of operations.
"We're here to offer the service if it's needed," Cook said. "I do know the Red Cross is supposedly en route. They're bringing blankets and cots and food."
Also Tuesday, Kanawha officials warned residents staying at home not to use generators or grills inside a house or enclosed space because it can lead to illness or death.
"Never use generators and charcoal or gas grills inside your home, in basements, in garages or other enclosed spaces due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning," Barb Taylor, head of the Office of Environmental Health Services for the state Department of Health and Human Resources, said in a prepared statement Tuesday.
"The [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] says these appliances should not be operated near an open window or window air conditioner, which may allow fumes to enter the home."
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas that can be deadly or cause illness. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and altered mental status.
DHHR recommends getting fresh air immediately and calling 911 if you suspect you or a family member has CO poisoning.
Sayre offered the following safety tips for those using power generators:
Reach Lori Kersey at lori.ker...@wvgazette.com or 304-348-1240.