When Johnson looked out her front door on Tuesday she saw "a humungous wall of fire."
"I could feel the heat and there was steam coming from under my home. It shook the pictures off of my wall," she said. "Sparks were coming out of the wall where my Christmas tree is plugged in.
"I may never feel safe in that home again."
The National Transportation Safety Board, which is investigating the gas explosion, coordinates with the Red Cross to provide crisis counseling as part of its disaster assistance, according to Stephanie Matonek, a support specialist with NTSB.
"If counseling is something she'd like to do it's available for her through the local chapter [of the Red Cross]," Matonek said. "It's short-term, but it's pretty immediate."
Dale Petry, director of Kanawha County Emergency Services, said he sympathizes with Johnson and other residents who live near the blast.
"I can understand how she feels, this was horrific," Petry said. "I don't know many people who could just go the next day and lay their head down and go to bed."
Mark Boggs, Johnson's son, said he didn't think his mother would participate in counseling.
"She's been through a lot of traumatic experiences," he said. "But I don't think anyone around here will have peace of mind for quite some time."
Reach Kate White at kate.wh...@wvgazette.com or 304-348-1723.