Alsop said he has been instructed by Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin to talk to the parties involved, find the facts, and prepare a response to the findings of the legislative audit, which was released Feb. 10.
Both Alsop and Taylor said part of the difficulty has been that the $24 million router purchase took place in 2010 under the Manchin administration, and many of individuals directly involved, including former Office of Technology director Kyle Schafer, are no longer in state government.
"When we came in, the decision had been made. We had the routers, and we've tried to work from there," Alsop said.
Then-Senate President Tomblin began acting as governor on Nov. 15, 2010, when Manchin resigned to become a U.S. senator. Tomblin was elected to the remaining year of the Manchin's unexpired term in November 2011, and re-elected to a four-year term last November.
Sen. Truman Chafin, D-Mingo, said he believes that had the federal funds been spent properly, broadband service would be available by now in the counties he represents.
"Somebody's got to be held accountable here. People in Mingo, Mercer and McDowell counties don't have broadband service," he said.
Taylor said the broadband initiative remains a work in progress.
"I think it's too early to determine if it's a success or failure," he said.
Reach Phil Kabler at ph...@wvgazette.com or 304-348-1220.