CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Fewer Boy Scouts were injured during the National Scout Jamboree than organizers anticipated.
Emergency rooms around the state had 187 visits from Boy Scouts during the 10-day event last month, CAMC chief financial officer Larry Hudson told the hospital's board Wednesday morning.
Charleston Area Medical Center had seven young people and two adults admitted to its trauma unit, Hudson said.
This year's Jamboree, held July 15-24, was the first to be held at the Summit Bechtel Reserve in Fayette County.
During the last Jamboree, held at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia in 2010, there were 700 trips to local emergency rooms and 350 admissions, Hudson said.
"There was a lot less activity [this year], which means that the event was much safer than in prior years," Hudson said. "Fewer kids and adults were injured, which is good news."
Hudson said the fewer injuries could be attributed to the engineering of the high-adventure activities at the Jamboree.
"BSA did a great job of planning and engineering and executing a very safe Jamboree," Hudson said.