December 24, 2013
St. Albans family escapes injury in Christmas eve fire
A fire that started early Christmas Eve destroyed a St. Albans house. No one was injured in the fire, which started around 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday, but the fire demolished the Abney Street home and nearly everything in it, according to Mary Pauley, aunt to three boys (ages 9, 12 and 14) who lived in the home.
"Their mother saw the flames coming in and she woke them all up and put them all out the back door," Pauley said. "Everyone got out OK." She said the family lost most of their belongings in the fire -- including the Christmas presents under the tree -- but they're staying positive, and has already received help from the community. "It's good. We're going to have Christmas dinner this evening... I've talked to them about it. They're good boys, they understand," she said.