Stollings, a doctor and lead sponsor of the bill, said the drug works quickly, helping people who overdose to breathe normally.
"In an emergency situation, it's amazing," Stollings said.
Sen. Evan Jenkins, R-Cabell, said his wife's nephew recently died of a drug overdose.
"Naloxone would have said his life," Jenkins said. "This epidemic we have relating to prescription drug abuse and heroin has probably touched us all in tragic ways."
State lawmakers introduced a similar bill last year, but it didn't pass. Seventeen states have laws that allow first responders to administer naloxone during emergencies.
"I'm sorry we didn't do this before," Jenkins said. "I'm glad we're doing it now. It's a true lifesaver."
The bill now moves to the House of Delegates.
Reach Eric Eyre at erice...@wvgazette.com or 304-348-4869.