Prosecutors continue to dig into the April 5, 2010, blast that killed 29 miners and to examine other safety practices at other Massey operations across Southern West Virginia.
"We're still advancing as quickly as we can," Goodwin said. "Our investigation has been fairly broad in its scope, so it takes some time."
So far, Goodwin's office has brought charges against three people linked to the Raleigh County mine where the explosion occurred.
Thomas Harrah, a former miner at the site, was sentenced to 10 months in jail after he admitted to faking a foreman's license when he performed key mine safety examinations at the mine between January 2008 and August 2009 and then lying to investigators about his actions.
Former Massey Energy security director Hughie Elbert Stover is appealing a three-year jail sentence he received after being convicted of lying to investigators and trying to destroy evidence about Massey's practice of warning underground workers of impending government inspections.
And former Upper Big Branch mine superintendent Gary May is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to plotting "with others known and unknown" to put coal production ahead of worker safety and to conceal the resulting hazards on numerous occasions at Upper Big Branch. May admitted that he took part in a scheme to provide advance warning of government inspections and then hide or correct violations before federal agents could make it into working sections of the mine.
U.S. District Judge Irene Berger has twice postponed May's sentencing -- now scheduled for mid-January -- after prosecutors said they needed more time to get information from May, who is cooperating with the ongoing investigation as part of a plea deal.
Reach Ken Ward Jr. at kw...@wvgazette.com or 304-348-1702.