BIG CHIMNEY, W.Va. -- Two Kanawha County firefighters were briefly trapped early this morning when part of a burning home collapsed on them, officials said.
Both firefighters from the Sissonville Volunteer Fire Department were reported with only minor injuries after co-workers helped them escape from the house in the 3400 block of Coopers Creek Road north of Charleston, said county fire coordinator C.W. Sigman.
"One got out pretty quickly," Sigman said. "The other, it took about seven firefighters to get the stuff off him."
Firefighters were called to the scene at about 3:30 a.m.
Four people, including one young child, living at the house at the time of the fire got out safely, Sigman said. Sigman said there were no working smoke detectors, but that one of the residents heard glass breaking and got out of bed to investigate.