The press freedom organization Reporters Without Borders on Friday cautioned news outlets on sending female reporters to Cairo’s Tahrir Square, citing three incidents in which reporters have been assaulted.
“It is more dangerous for a woman than a man to cover the demonstrations in Tahrir Square. That is the reality and the media must face it. It is the first time that there have been repeated sexual assaults against women reporters in the same place. The media must keep this in mind when sending staff there and must take special safety measures,” Reporters Without Borders said in a statement.
“We are not saying the international media should pull out and stop covering events in Egypt. But they need to adapt to the threats that currently exist. And women journalists going to Tahrir Square should be aware of this situation,” the organization added.
The press freedom group put out the statement after Caroline Sinz, a French reporter, said she was sexually assaulted while covering the street protests in Egypt’s capital.
Sinz’s incident happened just hours after Egyptian-American journalist Mona Al-Tahtawy reported on Twitter that she had been assaulted by security forces.
American reporter Lara Logan also reported that she was the victim of sexual assault by a crowd near Tahrir Square in February, on the day Egyptian Hosni Mubarak was pushed from power.
The Gazette now offers Facebook Comments on its stories. You must be logged into your Facebook account to add comments. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal page, uncheck the box below the comment. Comments deemed offensive by the moderators will be removed, and commenters who persist may be banned from commenting on the site.