* He inherited a collapsing economy, with 800,000 job losses per month, but slowly reversed the damage.
* He halted deportation of young Hispanics who were brought across the border as tots.
* He advanced human rights by letting gays serve in the military.
* He has decimated the worldwide al-Qaida terror network and killed its leader.
* He ended fundamentalist obstacles to birth control and stem cell research.
* He clamped tighter policing on Wall Street manipulators.
* He boosted college education by removing federal student loans from high-interest banks.
Nearly all these improvements were achieved despite fierce Republican opposition. We hope the next four years under President Obama are as beneficial as the first four.