Say thank you to former Gov. Moore
You recently published a report naming Senator Joe Manchin as the most outstanding governor of recent vintage. If this report is meant to include the Democrat governors (Neely, Meadows, Patteson, Marland, Barron, Smith, Rockefeller, Wise, Caperton), I have no quarrel with this selection. Before the modern era we had two outstanding Democrat governors in Kump and Holt who should be considered along with Manchin for they performed outstandingly in a very difficult time for our state. The two Republican governors of this era are in a different league from the Democrats for they had to contend with a Legislature in which both houses were held by substantial margins by the opposing party. Gov. Underwood inherited multiple scandals from his predecessors and had to reestablish the people's trust in state government, which he promptly did. Then we come to Gov. Arch A. Moore Jr.
He established a consortium of Republicans and Democrats to create a successful majority of honorable West Virginians who were truly interested in the welfare of our beloved state. Names that come to mind are Ivor Borasky, Will Brotherton, Lefty Rollins, Mario Palumbo, Harry Pauley. Also:
• I-79 to Morgantown was completed in four years!
• Gold on the Dome. JDR IV scrubbed it, and the first thing Arch did upon coming back, with the help of a generous donor, quickly made our capitol dome as Mr. Gilbert had envisioned.
• The Cultural Center, which has become the show place for West Virginia.
• The New River Gorge Bridge has given southern West Virginia a gateway and revitalized the tourism business and is our most photographed landmark.
• Rafting industry, which has become the main driver of tourism presently.