CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- I don't know, and don't particularly care, what Shelley Moore Capito's family earns per year, but I can guarantee it's a damn sight more than most of us, and I can guarantee that they contribute less as a percentage of that income to the country that makes that possible.
The top 1 percent of our population owns 40 percent of the country's wealth. The bottom 60 percent -- more than half the population, a large enough percentage to actually pass a bill if it were the Senate, 187 million people -- owns 2 percent.
Two. Per. Cent!
Ninety-three percent of all new income over the past couple of years has gone to the top 1 percent, leaving 99 percent of the population to share 7 percent of the income. Four-hundred individuals own more wealth than the bottom 150 million.
And, Shelley agrees enthusiastically with her Republican cohorts that these people need more money to create jobs, that the budget must be balanced by cutting food stamps, education, unemployment insurance, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, infrastructure investment and other programs that the working poor and middle class have earned through their blood and sweat instead of asking the oligarchs to contribute at the same rate they did under Bill Clinton.
Shelley cares nothing about you. With record poverty, incredible unemployment and a crumbling infrastructure, she stands strong with Paul Ryan and the Republicans in opposing President Obama's infrastructure and jobs bills, which would end tax breaks for companies sending jobs overseas, reward companies for bringing jobs back to the U.S., and create literally millions of jobs by investing in our woefully decrepit and outdated infrastructure now while interests rates are historically low, saving us hundreds of billions of dollars over the long term.
If President Obama were of a different ethnic persuasion, he would be as popular in West Virginia as FDR or JFK. But, because of his race, an imprisoned Texas felon garnered 40 percent of the Democratic primary vote. Shelley knows and capitalizes on this by opposing Obama at every turn, even though doing so slows our recovery and devastates struggling, hardworking West Virginians, along with the rest of the United States.
How could she be expected to expend any energy on job creation, though, when she is busy trying to repeal health-care coverage, or ensuring that women are denied contraception, or fighting for her and Mitt Romney's families' unprecedented tax cuts?
She does not represent you, when almost 80 percent of the citizens want billionaires to contribute their fair share, yet she opposes this at every opportunity, or when she votes more than 30 times to end health-care reforms that are favored by more than 70 percent of the population, such as ending insurers' ability to terminate policies when the insured gets sick, the ability to keep children on parents' policies until they find work or turn 26, and stopping insurers from denying coverage because of pre-existing conditions, or when she supports a presidential candidate who has hidden hundreds of millions of dollars in Swiss bank accounts and shady Cayman Island tax shelters, or when she sides with her party in wasting time on political theater to end Obamacare instead of working on aid to farmers during one of the worst droughts on record, before leaving for a five-week vacation.
We have a choice in a few short months. We can send Shelley back to Congress to shill for the fat cats and aristocrats, or we can vote for Howard Swint, an honest, intelligent, insightful man who truly will put an end to West Virginia's contribution to hyper-partisan obstructionism and work for the good of all people instead of the obscene fortunes of the few.
Namay, of Charleston, owns PC Specialist Inc.