CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- I'm tired of lying politicians and deceptive ads bought by corporations and PACs! Since I'm retired, I have time to research the facts. They may be helpful to working voters who don't have such time:
1. President Obama has not kept his promise to raise the minimum wage. Raising minimum wage to $10 boosts the economy over $30 billion a year in new consumer spending. The typical minimum wage earner is a white adult female. In West Virginia, a restaurant server gets about $2.75 and hopes tips will bring them to $10. Romney and Ryan have both opposed raising the minimum wage. Let's pressure the president and Congress to raise the minimum wage.
2. President Obama signed the Lily Ledbetter Act, Equal Pay for Equal Work. Paul Ryan voted against it. Mitt Romney won't say where he stands.
3. President Obama lowered taxes, the lowest they've been in 30 years, and prevented a full-blown depression. Romney and Ryan protect the highest-income 2 percent from paying their fair share of taxes. This same 2 percent have plenty of cash and have yet to create any U.S. jobs.
4. EPA regulations are always blamed for economic woes. Listen to Sen. Joe Manchin, Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, Rep. Ryan and former Gov. Romney. In actuality, the economic crisis was caused by speculators who abused taxpayer-insured deposits after lobbying Congress to shatter Glass-Stegall, the 1933 regulation created to protect Americans from another Great Depression. Glass-Stegall separated investment and commercial banking. At the same time, the FDIC was created to protect workers' savings. With the dismantling of Glass-Stegall, it was easy for banks to have access to federal money. Under George W. Bush, $45 billion was used to bail out Citigroup alone!
5. The USA is still the largest economy in the world with vast natural resources, a good education system, creative innovators and an educated workforce. To listen to many politicians you would believe that China is the largest economy.
6. Proposing the deficit as the biggest threat to our finances has been the theme for almost three years. Economists say not! Cutting public sector jobs for teachers, firemen, policemen; cutting school budgets; breaking unions; shredding safety nets for the most vulnerable among us are measures that will create a large uneducated, unemployed mass of people. At that point, there may be no return to the America we all believe in.
7. We constantly hear that President Obama has made the economy worse. Nothing is further from the truth! The stimulus of 2009 did work! Analysts from Moody's and Princeton concluded that without it, unemployment would have risen above 11 percent and the GDP would have been almost a trillion dollars lower. Dishonest politicians don't tell the truth on this one.
8. President Obama should take credit for weakening Al-Qaeda and the death of Osama Bin Laden. It was his call and he made it!