2. Require licensed gun owners to maintain responsible care and possession of all weapons they legally own.
3. Maintain a national registry of all guns and gun owners, so that background checks and serial numbers can be quickly identified in a crime scene.
4. Require gun owners to report within 24 hours of discovery that their weapons have fallen into unauthorized hands and, failing to do so, make the gun owner fully responsible, criminally, for any action that ensues involving their gun.
5. Use computers to track all gun registrations and ownership changes.
6. Require gun dealers to maintain a rigorous inventory database of purchasers.
7. Require that, if an improper sale of a gun results in a felony, gun sellers must be held criminally responsible.
8. Appoint a permanent director of the ATF.
Our U.S. gun population, on both an absolute and per capita basis, is the largest in the world. So is our murder rate. There surely is a direct correlation. We must change, for our children.
Tweddle is an engineer in Charleston.