2. Other teams that will be on the regular season basketball schedule: Cincinnati, Georgetown, UConn, Villanova, Notre Dame, Providence and St. John's.
3. The men's basketball tournament will be at Madison Square Garden. It will not be at UTEP.
4. Opposing basketball coaches will never be able to tell recruits, "Do you want to play your road games at East Carolina, Marshall and Southern Miss?"
5. Josh Pastner won't have to figure out new and creative ways to convince people that the conference is any good.
6. Would you believe the Memphis Tigers in a BCS bowl game?
Now, Louisville is fleeing the Big East. Ditto Georgetown, Villanova, Notre Dame, Providence and St. John's. The MSG may not want the leftovers to besmirch its floor for five days. And I guess Pastner will have to keep playing road games at Tulane's Fogelman Arena, C-USA's worst venue.
Football-wise, the BCS is dying and was going to revoke the Big East's "AQ" status anyway. Besides, the Tigers have as much chance at a BCS bowl as does West Virginia State.
Calkins came to the same conclusion last weekend as did Bianchi: "It appears the Big East dream is dead."
The unanswered question is how much power Big East commissioner Michael Aresco was granted in that invitation, considering how the basketball-heavy schools held the majority of the voting membership at the time.
Did the presidents wave a wine glass and say, 'Whatever!' or was Tulane lured in as a scapegoat for the league's collapse? Neither would surprise me.
Here is the really fun part of Tulane's ill-advised move: The Green Wave's best sport is baseball, and that program takes a plunge in league quality. A hint: That team may be Marshall's most bitter C-USA rival in any sport, and there is little respect here for Tulane coach Rick Jones. Do I hear chortling?
One, I am awarding National Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman early retirement and sending him on a cruise. A long, long cruise.
Two, I am issuing a moratorium on all complaints about crowd size. Really, does an empty seat mean apocalyptic fan apathy? Cease, I say!
(In decree No. 2A, I give Marshall athletic director Mike Hamrick permission to once again allow announcement of attendance at basketball games. P.A. announcer Mike Kirtner needs something to do.)
Three, I am ordering Boise State and San Diego State to remain in Mountain West Conference, just because.
Four, I am awarding the "Big East" name to the departing basketball schools, considering that four charter members (Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall) are among them. (Villanova joined in 1980.)
Lastly, I shall have another chunk of cake and watch the Big East crumble some more. Happy birthday to me.
Reach Doug Smock at 304-348-5130, by e-mail at dougsm...@wvgazette.com or follow him at twitter.com/dougsmock.