Get Connected
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Sign In
  • Classifieds
  • Sections
Print

Shooting hero discusses status

By

By GENE JOHNSON

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATTLE — Seattle college student Jon Meis, who has shied away from the spotlight since he ended a campus shooting by pepper-spraying the gunman last week, issued a written statement Monday saying it’s hard to accept his status as a hero.

Jon Meis, a 22-year-old dean’s list senior, was working as a building monitor at Seattle Pacific University on Thursday when the gunman walked into Otto Miller Hall and began firing a shotgun. A 19-year-old student was killed and two others injured, and authorities say the carnage almost certainly would have continued had Meis not acted by spraying and tackling the shooter while he reloaded.

Meis and his family have declined media requests for interviews since the shooting, with his family going as far as to request that his high school not grant interviews about him. But on Monday, he issued a written statement through Seattle Pacific, a small, Christian college in a leafy neighborhood north of downtown Seattle.

“I know that I am being hailed as a hero, and as many people have suggested I find this hard to accept,” he wrote. “I am indeed a quiet and private individual; while I have imagined what it would be like to save a life I never believed I would be put in such a situation. It touches me truly and deeply to read online that parents are telling their children about me and telling them that real heroes do exist.”

Nevertheless, he added: “What I find most difficult about this situation is the devastating reality that a hero cannot come without tragedy. In the midst of this attention, we cannot ignore that a life was taken from us, ruthlessly and without justification or cause. Others were badly injured, and many more will carry this event with them the rest of their lives.”

Meis said he is not ready to forgive the gunman, whom police have identified as Aaron Ybarra, 26, from the north Seattle suburb of Mountlake Terrace. Ybarra is being held without bail; his lawyer says he’s sorry about the shooting and has a long history of mental problems.

Meis wrote that when he came face to face with the attacker, “he was not a faceless monster, but a very sad and troubled young man.”

“I truly desire that he will find the grace of God and the forgiveness of our community,” he wrote.

Meis also said he has been overwhelmed by generosity and support. An online campaign has raised nearly $50,000 for him, and supporters bought items on a wedding registry for Meis and his fiancee.


Print

User Comments