Get Connected
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Sign In
  • Classifieds
  • Sections
Print

South Charleston still working on salt contract

By By Matthew Hill
For the Gazette

The city of South Charleston still doesn’t have a contract for road salt, “but it looks promising,” Public Works Director Gerald Burgy told City Council Thursday.

At a meeting earlier this month, Mayor Frank Mullens said a shortage may prevent the city from getting salt, which is used to treat the roads during icy winter weather.

“There seems to be a major shortage,” Mullens said at a previous meeting. “We haven’t even been able to get a bid. And the price has skyrocketed, more than doubled.”

Mullens told council the city had 100 tons left from last winter, but “that might last one night.”

In other business:

- The administrators of a youth basketball camp thanked the council for supporting their endeavors.

“You all are very near and dear to me,” said South Charleston resident Cierra Jones, who was accompanied by Kenneth Booth of Charleston.

She and Booth presented the mayor and council members with a photograph of the 2014 camp participants.

- Council unanimously passed an ordinance vacating a portion of alley between and parallel to McDonald Street and Greenway Avenue. Recent reports indicate that this is to make way for the Sheetz convenience store construction.

- Agreed to close Seventh Avenue from Oakes Avenue to Ashby Street on Sept. 13 for the Mound Arts and Crafts Festival.

- City Attorney Michael Moore said the state’s decision on South Charleston’s Home Rule application will likely come at the end of September or early October.

- Council approved the appointment of Larry Anderson to the Municipal Planning Commission.


Print

User Comments