History of the Charleston Gazette
Click on photo for full-size version
The Charleston Gazette was established in 1873. At the time, it was a weekly newspaper known as the Kanawha Chronicle. It had a couple of other owners and names -- The Kanawha Gazette and the Daily Gazette -- before its name was officially changed to The Charleston Gazette in 1907.
The Chilton family acquired formal interest in the paper in 1912. W.E. Chilton, a U.S. senator, was publisher of the Gazette, as were his son and grandson.
In 1918 a fire destroyed the Gazette building at 909 Virginia St. The newspaper was moved to 227 Hale St., where it remained for 42 years.
Under a consolidation agreement with the Charleston Daily Mail, the Gazette moved in 1960 into an addition of the Daily Mail Building at 1001 Virginia St. E. A year later, following the death of Robert L. Smith, W.E. Chilton III was named publisher of the Gazette. He served in that position until his death in 1987.
His widow, Elizabeth Chilton, is president of the Daily Gazette Co. Craig Selby is publisher of the Gazette.